- Eunomian Cluster (30,000 pop)
- Eunomia itself is a 300km wide asteroid rich in both common silicates but also metals, particularly nickel and iron, but the cluster includes as well several other smaller asteroids.
- Much as with Ceres, efforts were made to artificially spin Eunomia in order to allow for the creation of upside down subsurface settlement with closer to Earth-normal gravity.
- Rich in nickel and iron, despite the asteroid's internal strife and instability it deeply exploited by over a dozen mining operations with additional stakes being established on a regular basis.
- While Eunomia at one time was in possession of a semi-viable state polity, that polity has long since collapsed leading to a political landscape of almost constant shifting loyalties, internal strife, and coups such that Eunomia can be safely classified as a failed state in nearly every regard. Various attempts by outside powers including State, the Eastern Federation, and the Southern Bloc have all failed to corral the tumultuous cluster leading to the cluster's informal nickname of "The Afghanistan of the Belt".
- Extensive mercenary activity (both utilization of and recruitment, though training generally done elsewhere)
- Colonized originally by State in 2185, Eunomia was intended to be State's launching point for an intended domination of the Asteroid Belt and hopefully beyond.
- The first twenty years of Eunomia's colonization were rife with constant supply problems, forcing the mining operators to increasingly utilize smugglers and others to maintain supply, and the general level of cynicism and bitterness at the absentee landlords of State on Earth heightened.
- State, frustrated by expenses and constant labor problems, attempted to solve "The Eunomian Problem" by importing in additional mining specialists from South Africa and Quebec, contracted out to "solve" the issues. Predictably, the infusion of a large number of specialists merely added to the strife. By 2215 the situation was a disaster, and so much money was being wasted or funneled away via graft that State washed its hands of its failed experiment.
- Eight more years of back-and-forth vicious in-fighting, backstabbing, and attempts to forge a unified political coalition finally saw the formal creation of a nominally independent state of Eunomia, though in truth considerable economic support from the Oceanic League was being used as leverage to force all parties to the negotiating table. The resulting unsteady polity stumbled for the better part of the century, only to fall to bickering and sectarian conflict.
- Since the collapse of the Eunomian polity, the asteroid has become the picture of a failed state. The mineral wealth of the asteroid is still valuable, but the corporate interests exploiting it have had to resort to extreme security measures, and in truth, even these are only sometimes successful. Every decade or so one faction or the other claims formation of a new Eunomian polity, but the vast majority of these efforts fail before they have even truly begun.
- Today, Eunomia ironically represents not only a vibrant market for mercenary and security operations, but also one of the prime recruitment areas for mercenaries, as the near-constant strife has resulted in a population of brutal, ruthless, efficient men and women.
- Despite numerous attempts by outside powers to exert their influence or control over Eunomia's rich mineral resources, none have succeeded, and as each failed and another polity attempted the feat on its own, most other polities simply smiled knowingly and waited as that attempt, as all the others, failed to calm the cluster for more than a few years at a time.
- Internally, the Eunomia cluster can be seen as consisting between several culturally-dominated factions, each with one (or more) irregular corporate or external polity sponsors. For the most part, these corporate and external sponsors focus simply on extracting Eunomia's wealth while keeping the rest of the population at bay. For their part, those other factions attempt to undermine opposing operations, either out of fiduciary loyalty to their own sponsors, or simply out of a sense of homegrown territoriality.
- The Eunomia Cluster's own native cultural groups are also frequently at each others' throats, tangles of family loyalty and shifting alliances providing a backdrop for theft, kidnapping for ransom, and regular murder.
Politics and Culture:
- Eunomia is a study in anarchy. The only two bastions of anything resembling law are the individual corporate rules exercised within the operations of each individual corporate mining area, and the exercise of customs and cultural law enforced by reprisals.
- The major native cultural groups with their primary sponsors in parenthesis:
- Association Minière du Eunomia (Quebec)
- Consejo Minero de Eunomia (State, (private metanational interests))
- Unified Worker's Party (private metanational interests)
- Eunomian National Party (private metanational interests)
- MIRCE (Southern Bloc)
- Instituto Eunomio de Mineração (Brazil)
- Despite its relative mineral wealth, the production of new wealth is generally considered to be an inferior practice to the acquisition of other people's gains, with the daring and the bold granted grudging respect and the accolades of their compatriots.
- Massive amounts of smuggled goods and illegal operations are conducted on or through Eunomia, with the cluster being a favorite of individuals and groups operating out of Concordia.
- Regular attempts to deliver health, education, or other types of aid are common, though there is little evidence that any of substantially ameliorated the general low standard of living in the cluster, primarily because most such aid is quickly seized by the various leaders of the competing factions and their supporters.