- Titania (85,000 pop)
- Umbriel (22,000 pop)
- Sycorax (5400 pop)
- Titania is the largest of the moons of Uranus, named after the queen of the fairies in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- Consisting of equal amounts of ice and rock, Titania has an interior differentiated between a rocky core and an icy mantle, a slushy layer of ammonia-rich water ice separating the two.
- Tidally locked, Titania always has one face positioned to face Uranus.
- As Uranus orbits the Sun on its side, Uranus' moons are subject to an extreme seasonal pattern, each pole alternately spending 42 years in complete darkness followed by 42 years in never-ending light.
- The Dominion of Titania soon expanded on to settlements on the neighboring moon of Umbriel, and together the two moons almost equal the modern-day population of the Alliance, the Alliance who have been dreaming for years of ways to force the Dominion into Alliance suzerainty.
- Economically, the Dominion represents a far more balanced economy than the Alliance's powerful military engine.
- As The Great Contraction began to loosen its hold on Earth in the early years of the 22nd century, the long-brewing conflict between North and South Korea came to a violent head in 2141 in what would later come to be known as the Night of Black Rain. A limited nuclear and biogenic exchange on the Korean Peninsula slaughtered millions in a single night. The survivors became refugees in their own land, and it was only due to a fierce will to live that any at all survived, although the same could not be said for the political entities who had carried out what was in effect a mass execution of their own people.
- With few friends willing to provide anything resembling substantial aid, in final act of post-national nationalism a collaboration of Korean metanationals funded an ambitious project to relocate the core of what remained of Korean commercial interests to what was at that time the farthest frontier in the solar system, the Uranus system.
- In 2153, remotely-operated drone supply ships began to set up manufacturing and mining capabilities on Titania, all in preparation for the first wave of permanent settlement which was to arrive in 2157 and continue unabated for the next forty years.
- By 2190, the slowly dying land that had been Korea was depopulated, the survivors having starved, emigrated to China, Japan, or Pacifica, or - for those deemed to have sufficient value - transported to Titania, and later the moon of Umbriel as well.
- Over the next two hundred years, the Dominion of Titania steadily grew, utilizing the generous resources of Titania and Umbriel to build a potent, generalized economy with an array of mining, hydroponic, and manufacturing capabilities.
- When the Guangdong-led metanationals began colonization of Oberon and several of the other mid-sized moons of Uranus, the Dominion of Titania provided generous support.
- Whereas at first the Dominion of Titania was the senior partner in the venture, the aggressive pursuit - and eventual cornering - of the Helium-3 gas mining operations by the newcomers would eventually reverse the arrangement. By the time the Alliance had officially formed in 2239, there was little doubt that it was the Alliance who would be playing the driving political and commercial role in the system.
- Water Ice
- Fissile Materials
- A broad-based, general economy capable of an array of manufacturing and hydroponic production.
- Functional shipyards capable of constructing frigates and freighters, and could theoretically be retooled to construct destroyers. In practice, the Dominion has purchased from other sources the few destroyers it maintains in service.
- The Alliance retains enough history and friendly relations with the Dominion of Titania that open war is fairly inconceivable, but there are most certainly those in the Alliance who secretly - and sometimes not so secretly - dream about annexing the Dominion's possessions, and the Dominion's politicos are quite aware of this faction. Thus far, the political faction in the Alliance that would entertain such notions represents a very small group of individuals, but there is some evidence that this faction has lately been growing in strength.
- The Dominion suffers somewhat from guilt by association in regards to the Titan-Rhean Coalition; although the Dominion is not directly involved in the Alliance's war on the Coalition, it is true that the Dominion's economy is significantly linked with that of the Alliance's.
- Several foreign polities are on particularly good terms with the Dominion, all benefiting from economic ties with the commercial power, albeit none has a depth of co-dependency on the scale of the economic relationship between the Dominion and the Alliance:
Politics and Culture:
- Politically, the Dominion of Titania is a centralized unitary constitutional democracy. In practice, however, the Dominion's system of apportioned seats in its National Assembly means that the governing of the polity is dominated by an oligarchy of fifteen major families. While these fifteen families have no mandated claim on political power, they are at this point so entrenched that it is simply accepted that in best interests of the Dominion, the system should remain unchallenged.
- The flag of the Dominion features the molecular pattern for water ice, a popular symbol of life in the early colonization of the outer solar system where said life could be hazardous to maintain and precarious even in the most favorable of situations.
- The Dominion population of origin was almost exclusively Korean, and as such the modern Dominion retains many of their original cultural traits, changed somewhat by the extreme nature of the environment the Dominion exists within. Regardless, the national language of the Dominion is a version of Korean that would be mostly intelligible to a resident of Seoul in the 21st century.
- The people of the Dominion have a reputation for being cosmopolitan, culturally sophisticated, inventive, and industrious, traits that have served the Dominion well in its development of a major commercial polity in the outer worlds, although with the ascendency of the Alliance, the Dominion has begun to pull in on itself, isolationist elements taking ever more strident stands.